// GENERAL INFORMATION
Ivanovo Region is located in the central part of European Russia 300 km northeast of Moscow. It is situated in the center of the Russian Plain in marshy woodlands with lakes and peat bogs (altitudes up to 170 m). Most of the region lies between the Volga and Klyazma rivers. It is part of the Central economic district and the Central Federal District. The Rukotvornoe Sea and the Gorki Reservoir, which flooded a 1500- km2 area and raised the level of the Volga for a distance of 440 km, cut off another left-bank Volga district, Sokolsky, from Ivanovo Region. In accordance with a referendum of local residents held in 1993, this district was transferred to Nizhny Novgorod Region, reducing the area of Ivanovo Region by 1800 km2 to its current 21 800 km2. The region borders on Vladimir, Kostroma, Yaroslavl, and Nizhny Novgorod regions. It is made up of 22 districts, 4 city districts, 6 cities under regional jurisdiction, 11 cities under district jurisdiction, and 31 industrial communities; it has a population of 1 266 000.
On June 20, 1998, Ivanovo Region celebrated the 80th anniversary of its founding. The official starting point of the region's existence as an independent administrative region is a decree of the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs of June 20, 1918, forming Ivanovo-Voznesensk Province, which soon became Ivanovo Region.
The region is relatively young, but its formation as an economic and political unit began long before it appeared on the map. The territory of present-day Ivanovo Region lies at the very heart of Russia, the Upper Volga, in the center of the ancient Russian lands of the Vladimir-Rostov Opolye [an area of fertile open fields].
The region's favorable geographical location contributes to the development of both national and foreign economic and cultural ties. Main highways, railways, and waterways connecting Moscow and western regions with eastern and southeastern regions of the country pass through Ivanovo Region.
The leading industrial sectors in Ivanovo Region are the textile industry and other industries with close production ties to it, i.e., the engineering and chemical industries. Before the start of economic reforms, Ivanovo Region was unequaled in its output of cotton fabrics (about 1/3 of Russian production). It is the country's third-largest manufacturer of woolen and linen fabrics and seventh-largest manufacturer of silk fabrics. The old artistic trades of lacquer work and miniature painting are also well developed.
The main industrial centers are Ivanovo, Kineshma, Shuya, Vichuga, Teikovo, and Rodniki.
Agriculture is mainly oriented towards supplying the urban population. Beef and dairy cattle, pig, and poultry farming are well developed. One-third of the cropland is sown in feed crops, and another large area is sown in potatoes and vegetables; flax is grown in the northern and eastern parts of the region.
In spite of being highly industrialized, Ivanovo Region has a high ecological rating and is one of Russia's most ecologically favorable regions. It has great recreational potential in its water and forest resources, scenery, and medicinal springs. The region is part of Russia's Golden Ring and has a large number of cultural and historical monuments. The most important of these are the small old city of Ples on the Volga and the village of Palekh, where the world-famous Russian art of lacquer miniatures arose.
Ivanovo Region has a temperate continental climate with relatively hot summers and cold winters with persistent snow cover. January is the coldest month, with an average temperature of -12 °C; the warmest month is July, with an average temperature of +18 °C. Average annual precipitation is about 600 mm. There are nearly 2000 rivers and more than 200 lakes in the region. The largest river is the Volga, with the Gorki Reservoir.
The region is located at the meeting place of the European taiga and mixed forest zones. Forests cover about 40% of its area, especially on the left bank of the Volga (Zavolzhye) and Yuzhny and Teikovsky districts (birch, pine, aspen, and spruce). The wildlife is typical of the mixed forest zone; large predators such as wolves and bears have disappeared as a result of industrialization. Hares, foxes, squirrels, polecats, woodcock, capercaillie (wood grouse), partridge, and hazel grouse are commercially important.
Ivanovo Region does not have large mineral reserves, although there are deposits of clay and loam used in manufacturing building materials. There are also accumulations of medicinal mineral water useful for treating digestive system and other disorders at depths of 150 to 200 m in the central part of the region.
The city of Ivanovo is the administrative center of Ivanovo Region. The first mention of the village of Ivanovo dates back to 1561. On August 2, 1871, Ivanovo and the adjoining Voznesensky suburb (posad) were organized into the city of Ivanovo-Voznesensk, which was renamed simply Ivanovo on December 27, 1932. The city is divided into four administrative districts: Leninsky, Sovietsky, Oktyabrsky, and Frunzensky.
The city is located in the area between the Upper Volga and Klyazma rivers (the Klyazma is a tributary of the Oka River), slightly less than 300 km by road from Moscow and 65 km from the Volga. The Uvod River flows through the city, dividing it in two. The small Talka River flows into the Uvod from the northeast, and the Kharinka River joins it at the eastern city limit.
In 1561, Ivan the Terrible granted Ivanovo along with adjoining lands as a patrimony to the princes Temryukovich-Cherkessk of Kabarda, the brothers of his second wife, Mariya Temryukovna. The village subsequently passed to Count Sheremetevo in 1742. The linen industry began developing in Ivanovo at this time with the opening of the first linen mill. By the early 19th century, Ivanovo already had more than 150 different cotton and calico mills, securing its reputation as a textile city.
Today, Ivanovo is a large administrative, industrial, and cultural center with a population of about 700 000. The seven higher educational institutions with tens of thousands of students from all over Ivanovo Region and neighboring regions and Ivanovo's largest libraries (the regional science library on Engels Avenue, the Gorki central city library on Bogaev Square, and the regional library for children and youth on Krutitskaya Street) are a major source of intellectual and scientific potential. The city's museums preserve objects from the historical past (e.g., the Burylin Association of Historical and Regional Museums, formed several years ago from a union of the local history, calico, First Soviet, and art museums).
Ivanovo is a city with rich theatrical traditions. Four professional theaters and several amateur theater studios operate here.
The first mention of Ivanovo is traditionally associated with the name of Ivan the Terrible and dates to 1561, although according to some information, unfortunately not supported by historical documents, the village of Ivan was mentioned as early as 1328. Judging from the chronicles, the oldest city in this region is Yurevets (1225), and archeological excavations show that the cities of Shuya, Kineshma, Ples, Gavrilov Posad, and Kokhma already existed in the pre-Mongolian period.
Ivanovo territory had been a weaving and flax-processing center of Russia since the early days, and by the beginning of the 19th century, its reputation as a textile center was firmly established. The region produced a large part of the cotton products in Russia and was compared to England, which at the time was famous for its textiles. Ivanovo was compared with Manchester and Shuya with Liverpool. At large trade fairs, there was a special row of stalls known as the Ivanovo Row.
As a result of rapid industrial growth after the emancipation of the serfs in 1861, a whole series of important economic districts formed in Russia. One of these was the Ivanovo-Voznesensky economic district, which included the northern industrial districts of Vladimir Province and the southern industrial districts of Kostroma Province. This industrial area was divided right down the middle by the administrative boundaries of Vladimir (Shuisky District) and Kostroma (Kineshemsky and Yurevetsky districts) provinces. This boundary formed during the reign of Catherine the Great and existed until 1918.
The boundary seriously hampered the region's economic, political, and cultural development as a single economic unit based on large manufacturing plants. By 1914, enterprises in Ivanovo territory employed nearly 156 000 workers and the region had a population of 1 100 000. Production consisted primarily of cotton and linen fabrics.
The unofficial center of the "calico kingdom", as the region was called, was the city of Ivanovo-Voznesensk, which was under the jurisdiction of Shuya as a secondary district city. Therefore, despite the fact that Ivanovo-Voznesensk was far ahead of provincial capitals like Vladimir and Kostroma in industrial development, the city had hardly any administrative offices and received only a very small share of state allocations for urban improvement, public education, and health care. Before the Revolution, the city had several thousand companies employing nearly 30 000 people and a population of 160 000. The textile region not only had its own "capital", but its own "front door" in the city of Kineshma, through which supplies of cotton, oil, and grain passed along the Volga to the entire region and finished goods were marketed. North-south and southwest-northeast railway lines passed through the region connecting the main industrial centers. Strong economic ties formed within the region over a period of many years. Spinning mills supplied yarn to weaving mills, which in turn delivered coarse goods to finishing companies. Engineering and chemical companies provided the textile industry with cast metal and spare parts for machinery and chemicals for the finishing process.
There were also political reasons for uniting the artificially separated parts of the region. During this period, Ivanovo-Voznesensk was a center of the revolutionary movement, which formed the core of the country's political processes. The Soviets of Workers' Deputies arose here in 1905. All of this was taken into consideration when forming the new province. The division of the economic district between two provinces was an obstacle to development of both the region and the country as a whole.
These economic and political conditions were the main motivations for forming Ivanovo-Voznesensk Province. The unification movement began even before October 1917. People from broad sections of the public took part, from members of the bourgeoisie to people's democrats. The question of creating the new province was settled immediately after October 1917. On June 20, 1918, the People's Commissariat of Internal Affairs approved the formation of Ivanovo-Voznesensk Province with Ivanovo-Voznesensk as its capital as part of the territories established by the III Congress of Soviets of Ivanovo-Kineshemsky District
At the end of 1918, the people of Ivanovo gradually began restarting idled factories and supplying food to the hungry population. The formation of an independent province allowed full restoration of the region's economic potential between 1920 and 1924.
Between 1918 and the early 1920s, a polytechnical institute, a teacher's college, a local history museum, a public library, a Workers' Education House, a social and economic vocational school, a number of general education schools, and health facilities were opened in Ivanovo-Voznesensk.
The strong potential of Ivanovo-Voznesensk Province was put to maximum use during the industrialization of the country that went on in the late 1920s and 1930s. According to a new administrative division of districts of 1929, existing provinces were enlarged and transformed into regions. Vladimir, Ivanovo-Voznesensk, Yaroslavl, and Kostroma provinces were united into a single Ivanovo industrial region with an area of 135 000 km2, slightly more than twice the size of Belgium and Holland combined. During this period, the Ivanovo Thermoelectric Power Plant (IvGRES), the Blended Yarn Fabric Factory (Melanzhevy kombinat), the Ivtorfmash and Korolev factories, a bakery and meat-packing plant, a fish-processing plant, and a number of other companies began operating. Four independent higher educational institutions and a number of vocational schools were established around the polytechnical institute, and new schools were built. A circus, drama theater, movie theaters, the Textile Worker (Tekstilshchik) Stadium, a main post office, and a railway station were also built. Regional radio and an automatic telephone exchange began operating and tram and bus routes opened. Large-scale housing construction began. This scene was typical of all parts of Ivanovo industrial district.
According to longtime residents, the idea of moving the administrative center of the RSFSR from Moscow to another large Russian city, with Moscow remaining as the capital of the USSR, arose during those years and was seriously discussed. Leningrad, Nizhny Novgorod, Sverdlovsk, Novosibirsk, Rostov-on-Don, and Ivanovo competed secretly for the right to become the capital of the Russian Federation. This was the reason for the large scale of many social and cultural projects that appeared in Ivanovo in the late 1920s and early 1930s, e.g., full-scale redevelopment of the city center and construction of the grandiose House of Soviets and a huge drama theater, and so on.
During the Second World War, thousands of Ivanovo residents took part in the defense of our homeland. Their contribution to the cause of Victory was well rewarded: 156 Ivanovo residents were honored with the high rank of Hero of the Soviet Union and 20 were awarded the Third Class Order of Glory.
Ivanovo Region was also the home of many outstanding Soviet military commanders, such as A.M. Vasilevsky, S.F. Zhavoronkov, A.V. Gorbatov, N.M. Khlebnikov, A. Belov, and L.M. Sandalov.
Thousands of wounded and hundreds of thousands of refugees arrived in the region in the first months of the war. The enemy occupied many of the country's main granaries, resulting in severe food shortages. Basic foods were distributed on ration cards: workers received 600 grams of bread per day, so-called "dependents" received 400 grams, and children received 300 grams.
Ukraine, Belarussia, and the Smolensk area, where many textile factories were located, were under occupation, and the factories of blockaded Leningrad had shut down. Therefore, Ivanovo Region played a major role in outfitting the army. Industry switched over to military production; factories began producing cotton wool, gauze, and cloth for uniforms. Garment workers sewed military uniforms, underwear, camouflage cloaks, and parachutes. The workers of Ivanovo's Blended Yarn Fabric Factory alone sent nearly 100 million meters of cloth to the front between 1941 and 1945, or enough for 12 million soldiers.
In the postwar years, the people of the region rebuilt the economy and other industries like engineering developed rapidly along with the traditional textile industry. Large industrial facilities started up, e.g., the Ivanovo heavy machine tool, mobile crane, weaving and combing machinery plants, and a whole range of engineering plants and facilities in other cities of the region.
Economic growth during the 1950s-early 1960s, when Ivanovo became the center of the Upper Volga economic district, was similar to the 20s and 30s. The perestroika period of the mid-1980s brought many economic, political, demographic, and social changes to Ivanovo region, and its consequences are still being felt in the region and in the country as a whole.
The only commercially important mineral resources in Ivanovo Region are nonmetallic materials such as clay, sand, sand-gravel mix, and carbonate rocks lying close to the surface.
The region's raw material base is unevenly distributed. Most of the explored deposits of sand-gravel materials are located in western and northwestern districts, with far fewer in southern and eastern districts. On the whole, the existing base meets the needs of the construction industry. Available deposits are the basis for the operations of crushing and sorting, brick, clay aggregate, and silicate plants. AOZT Ivstroikeramika, the region's largest brickyard, began operations in 1997. The factory uses loam from the Malo-Stupkinskoe deposit as a raw material. Loams from many other deposits in the region are not being used at present, since they belong to various companies that are in a very difficult economic state.
TOO Keramzit is the only company in the region producing expanded clay aggregate (keramzit), also from raw materials from the Malo-Stupkinskoe loam deposit. The largest building material companies are located in Ivanovo or close to it.
River runoff is the basis of Ivanovo Region's water resources. Forty-five reservoirs and artificial lakes have been built on the rivers in order to improve water supply to cities, industrial facilities, and irrigation. This includes the Uvodskoe Reservoir with an inflow from the Volga River to improve the city of Ivanovo's water supply.
Total freshwater intake was 355.7 million m3, including 72.24 million m3 from underground sources, 283.46 million m3 from surface sources (58.8 million m3 from the Volga-Uvod canal).
Ivanovo Region has accumulations of underground mineral water at depths below 30-50 m, most often at 180-250 m, in Tatar and Kazan sediments of the Upper Permian. They are used at the Zeleny Gorodok Health Center, the Ivanovo Regional Physiotherapy Hospital, and AO Kokhmatekstil Preventative Care Center.
Sodium chloride brines with a mineral content of 90-120 g/l or more, which also contain specific components such as bromine and boron, occur at depths of 300-700 m in Lower Permian and Carboniferous sediments.
Sod-podzolic soils comprise about 30% of the soils in the region. There are also boggy, floodplain, and gray forest soils. They vary greatly in composition, from clayey to sandy.
As of January 1, 1998, there were 2 144 500 hectares of available land in the region, including 1 046 500 hectares of land belonging to agricultural companies and organizations and private citizens.
The region's main fishing grounds are the Gorki Reservoir (including the mouths of the Unzha, Nemda, Mera, and Elnat rivers) and the Uvodskoe Reservoir. Other fishing grounds include the Teza, Lukh, Klyazma, Dobritsa, and Nerl rivers. Thirty-five species of fish inhabit the Gorki Reservoir, although conditions are not equally favorable for all of them. Some are adapted to adverse living conditions (roach, bream, and perch), while others are less tolerant (pike, pike perch, burbot, sterlet, and asp). Fish reproduction is adversely affected by pollution of the reservoir by industrial, agricultural and household wastes, poaching during the spawning season, and violation of the water level regime in the reservoir, which leads to destruction of spawn by drying. As a result, fish stocks in the reservoir remain low at the present time.
Thirty-five species of fish inhabit the Uvodskoe Reservoir. The predominant species are bream, roach, and perch.
According to the wildlife inventory, 290 vertebrate species inhabit Ivanovo Region, including 225 species of birds, 53 species of mammals, 9 species of amphibians, and 5 species of reptiles. Game animals include 20 animal species and 60 bird species.
Three game preserves have been set aside to manage hunting grounds: the regional Klyazminsky beaver and muskrat preserve and the local Sezukhovsky and Zateikhinsky preserves.
According to data from Ivanovo State University, the region's flora includes nearly 1300 plant species, nearly all of which are important as fodder, food, and nectar sources or for medicinal, decorative, and other very important purposes.
Ivanovo is one of Russia's greenest cities. Green areas cover a total area of 636 hectares, or 14.0 m2 per resident. The pride of Rodnikovsky District and the entire region is the botanical garden of the TB prophylactic center, which Doctor of Medicine and distinguished botany enthusiast, Aleksei Aleksandrovich Saleev, established more than 30 years ago and heads on a public basis.
Forests are of vital socioecomic importance in a region with a high concentration of industry and high population density, since they are not only a timber storehouse, the habitat of various wild animals and plants, and a source of esthetic pleasure, but also the main form of land-based ecosystem maintaining biosphere integrity, including air and water purification, and stabilizing the organic element cycle.
Industry in Ivanovo Region is subdivided into several main sectors, including the light, chemical and petrochemical, food, forest, peat, engineering and metalworking, power, and building material industries. The primary and most developed sector is light industry, made up of the clothing, knitting, textile, and shoe industries. Companies in this sector employ half of the region's industrial workers. The textile industry, which began developing in the last quarter of the 17th century, is of fundamental importance. Textile companies in the region produce half of Russia's textiles. Engineering occupies an important place in the region's industry. Engineering companies manufacture mobile cranes, looms and machine tools, excavators, combing machinery, instrumentation, and car components. The woodworking and pulp and paper industries also make a significant contribution to the regional economy. Forests of the region serve as a source of raw materials for these industries. The food industry produces a variety of goods that are in demand in many Russian regions, as well as abroad, e.g., sausage, mayonnaise, flour, cereals, canned meats and milk, confectionery, pasta, and alcohol.
The region's temperate continental climate and large number of rivers and lakes are vitally important to agriculture. Cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, and poultry are raised. Winter rye, wheat, spring grains, oat, and legumes such as peas and vetch occupy most of the cultivated area. Other crops include beets, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, feed crops, and long-fibered flax used as a raw material in the textile industry. There are more than 1000 farms in the region. Rye, potato, and vegetable harvests fully meet the region's annual requirements. Contracts have been signed with many companies to supply milk, meat, and vegetables for processing and canning.
The countrywide crisis of 1998 had an impact on agriculture in Ivanovo Region. The situation was generally complicated by the difficult situation in livestock breeding. Inadequate feed reserves and weather conditions influenced the situation to a certain extent. A lack of funds for machinery repair and fuel purchases affects preparations for spring planting. In most cases, 80-90% of agricultural equipment is worn out, and only 15-30% of all equipment is in operable condition. Many state farms are still unprofitable. Farms showing good economic results include the Dzerzhinsky collective farm in Gavrilovo-Posadsky District, the Arseny Shuisky and Leninsky Put collective farms in Puchezhsky District, the Kolosok farm in Komsomolsky District, and the Kineshma poultry farm.
The Legislative Assembly of Ivanovo Region is the region's legislative body. The Head of the Administration and the Administration of Ivanovo Region are the region's executive bodies.
Judicial authority in Ivanovo Region consists of courts established in accordance with the Constitution of the Russian Federation and federal constitutional laws by means of civil, administrative, and criminal court proceedings. The powers, manner of formation, and procedures of regional courts are prescribed by federal constitutional laws.
CULTURE AND ART
As early as 1561, Ivanovo was known as a large village famous for its folk arts, which had originated back in ancient times, e.g., weaving, wickerwork, embroidery, colorful national costumes, carving, and pottery. Weaving was the most developed craft in Ivanovo, and Ivanovo cloth was famous throughout Russia. Local artisans knew how to create wonderful combinations of unusual designs and color tones.
Ivanovo is the most historically and culturally interesting city in Ivanovo Region. Buildings dating from the 18th and 19th centuries lend special color to the city. These buildings include many factories, now monuments of industrial architecture. The first linen mill was constructed in the mid-18th century; by the early 19th century, there were already 150 mills in Ivanovo-Voznesensk, including the Garelin, Marakushev, Fokin, Gandurin, and Burylin factories. Unique churches designed by famous architects like I.E. Bondarenko, K.A. Ton, and F.I. Shekhtel in the 18th and 19th centuries adorned Ivanovo-Voznesensk. One of these buildings is lofty Pokrovsky Cathedral, now the Palace of Art. An old, fairly well preserved cemetery church that has been receiving parishioners since the 17th century is of enormous value. Today, it is known as Uspenskaya Wooden Church. The beautiful building of Kresto-Vozdvizhensky Church rises above Revolution Square. Unique 18th- and 19th-century churches have been preserved and are still functioning in the city of Furmanov. The city of Ivanovo also has many beautiful buildings constructed in the modernist, constructivist, and villa styles that were fashionable in their time. The buildings differ from one another in their particular architecture and features. Examples of these buildings are the Winter Theater on the corner of Red Army and Theater streets, now the House of Culture, and the beautiful Women's Gymnasium with its oval windows, now Ivanovo School No. 130. The two-story E.I. Kerbitskaya Bookstore on Georgievskaya Street, now the Toy Store at 20 Lenin Street, is distinguished by its original architecture. The Practical School, currently the Art Museum, is another impressive building.
You can learn about the cultural history of this remarkable land at the many museums named after D.G. Burylin. Burylin was a prominent factory owner and collector and connoisseur of rare and beautiful objects. At the end of his life, he donated his priceless lifetime collection of local history, art, and other exhibits to the city.
The ancient land of Ivanovo is an endless source of talented and gifted people. Writers, poets, artists, architects, singers, and composers were born here.
The beauty and originality of Russian folk art is shown best in the unique articles made in Palekh, an unusual village that has given the world some outstanding artists. The artists' craftsmanship that has come down to us from Old Rus was passed on from generation to generation and family to family. The original and distinctive designs of Palekh masters painted on every imaginable kind of box, chest, and casket delight everyone who sees theses unique items. With their lacquer coating, they seem to shine from within, lighting up the fanciful paintings of scenes from fairy tales, heroic epics, and songs. Aleksandr Pushkin's wonderful stories were also favorite subjects of these artists. The artists were especially fond of Maxim Gorki, since he was once an apprentice there. They used Gorki's stories, e.g., Danko, Song of the Storm-Petrel, and Song of the Falcon, and his play The Lower Depths as subjects of their paintings. Palekh's true Russian nature is also reflected in these articles, which depict scenes of leafy white birches, green fields and meadows, and the picturesque Paleshka River surrounding the village.
Icon painting was another ancient art in Palekh. Palekh icon painting developed gradually from the Moscow, Volga, Greek, Byzantine, Stroganov, and Novgorod styles. The distinctive style of Palekh artists took shape in the 18th century, and their work was praised far beyond Russia. But all of this changed after the Revolution of 1917. The New Russia had no need for icons. There was no demand for painted wooden articles like spinning wheels, salt cellars, and dishes. The Palekh artists switched to the papier-mache painting method of the Fedoskino masters. All Palekh articles shown at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1925 were awarded prizes, and the artists' cooperative received a gold medal. The awards proved that the artists had chosen the right path. The artists' cooperative began to expand, and new workshops were set up. Graduates of the Palekh Art School continue the Palekh traditions. Many Palekh artists are members of the Artists' Union of Russia. Palekh has also produced fine art restorers, muralists, and sculptors; and Pavel Dmitrievich Korin, an outstanding realist painter of our time, came from Palekh.
The delightful small city of Ples in Ivanovo Region derives much of its charm from beautiful natural scenery and buildings preserved from the 17th and 18th centuries. In 1982, it received the status of Ples State Historical, Architectural, and Art Museum Preserve. Painter Isaak Ilich Levitan lived and worked in Ples in 1888-1889, where he painted Evening on the Volga, Evening. Golden Reach, Birch Grove, After the Rain. The Reach, and Golden Autumn. Outskirts of Town, and many more. The house where he lived was opened as a museum in 1982. The museum displays his personal belongings, photos, and documents. Along with Levitan's landscapes, there are also works by the great Russian artists A.K. Savrasov, V.D. Polenov, and I.I. Shishkin.
Ivanovo has inspired and nourished the talent of noted cultural and artistic figures since the early days. The works of brother artists G.G. and N.G. Chernetsov of Palekh and painters Savrasov, I.E. Repin, V.V. Vereshchagin, and B.M. Kustodiev are well known. The family of Ivan Tsvetaev lived here. Tsvetaev was a Russian historian, founder of the Pushkin Museum of Fine Art in Moscow, and father of celebrated poet Marina Tsvetaeva. Ivanovo is also associated with the works of popular writers like P.I. Melnikov-Pechersky, V.G. Korolenko, P.A. Zarubin, and A.A. Potekhin; poets K. Balmont, S.F. Ryskin, and M.A. Dudin; and world-famous composers A.I. Khachaturian, A.P. Borodin, S.V. Rachmaninov, and D.D. Shostakovich. The city of Yurevets is the home of the renowned film producer Andrei Tarkovsky. The house where he was born is now a museum.
Official Site of the Administration of Ivanovo Region:http://ivadm.ivanovo.ru/